Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thoughts

Is there a written rule somewhere that identifies what type of relationship you have with someone over the phone? I seem to be hearing that quite a lot nowadays. I've known a lot of guys who are normally loud whenever they talk, but when it comes to phone conversations with a girlfriend (or a boyfriend, in some instances), the decibel range of his voice ranges from just audible to near-silent. It's kinda funny that way, actually, since others would immediately assume that the person you're talking to on the other end is a girlfriend, and the immediately drop comments like "Alak pa!", or "Binibitin mo naman yung ka-table mo eh!", or even worse, "Akala ko ba 'tong kasama natin yung girlfriend mo? Ba't may iba ka pang kausap d'yan?"

I recently heard someone speaking in this manner. I'd say it was pretty obvious that there was some hanky-panky involved. Why, you ask? The guy (whom I heard on the phone) was married, and his wife was in the other room at the time, and therefore couldn't be the one the guy was speaking to. I would have said "Way to go! You're really a hit with the ladies!", but then it got me thinking. Is it really such a good idea to fool around with somebody else when you're already married? Now, among my family members, almost all the male members have had their own share of dalliances, but I guess they got over it already. What does it really prove, anyway? Is it a requisite for being a real man's man? Is it really worth risking a marriage?

Call me silly, but I really don't believe in playing around when you're already married or committed. If you're single, then by all means go ahead and be a player if you want to. I know I haven't had my share of relationships (not so much from lack of opportunity, but from other reasons), but I'd say I wouldn't be able to do that. Never say never, though (as I know the temptation will always be there), but I think I'd rather burn all that excess energy in chasing women BEFORE I get married. Or maybe not. I'd rather spend my energy (and money) looking for someone with whome I can have a real relationship, not some one-night-stand who I won't be calling the morning after, anyway.

0 comments: