Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Funny? Not Really

"The most important lesson in life: flush the toilet after use." - Prof. Melvin R. Matulac, instructor, Professional Ethics

The above quote may seem funny at first, and I certainly thought so. But then again, there was a reason why Sir Melvin brought this up to the class. This got me thinking - how is flushing a toilet after using it the most important lesson in life?

People are, more often than not, downright slobs when it comes to a lot of things - work, academics, hygiene, personality, and God knows what else. When caught in a jam, they cannot extricate themselves out of the mess they found themselves into. And in the event that they do get themselves out, they simply do not know how to clean everything up.

In our childhood days, we were taught to pick up after ourselves, be it our toys, our school stuff, leftover food, etc. So, why is it that we tend to forget these lessons that have been instilled in us even before we could speak properly? Is forgetting the past a symptom of growing up?

"Everything I need to know about life, I learned in kindergarten". True enough.

Now, I guess I need to pick up after myself. Mental note: flush the toilet as well.

0 comments: