Friday, May 13, 2005

Reminiscin'

Last night I was cleaning out my two drawerfuls of junk and whatnot (yes, I do clean my stuff, although recently I haven't been able to attend to the task). I threw away old exam papers (some were mine, and others were of my scouts in high school), some old notebooks, a few scratch papers, and maybe a few other junk I haven't gotten around to throwing out. Anyway, I found lots of stuff in those two drawerfuls of junk. Some I kept, others I threw out. Anyway, here are some of what I found in there:

1. A handful of letters
I used to write a lot of letters to my friends during high school. And they wrote back. (Yeah, yeah, I know - what's the point of writing them when you can talk to them almost everyday then?) Anyway, I remember Peiah writing a lot to me whenever she was ranting about her then-boyfriend Kenny, or teasing me about Reiah. Unfortunately, I didn't know where I put her other letters - I only found one.

Also in that stack of letters were all the letters that Xiameer wrote to me (at least I think that was all, I can't remember exactly how many letters we've exchanged in high school). Anyway, this was during the time when I was courting her, and I think that period spanned a little over seven months. But, we were only destined to be friends.

2. High school retreat letters
More like notes, really. My classmates wrote notes on various materials. I even received an NBA card as a retreat note.

3. My old high school uniform with the dedications
It's traditional with every graduating batch (at least, I think it is). I had a very nice time remembering all the people who wrote dedications on it. Sadly, I couldn't remember a few of the others who wrote there.

4. Graduation pictures of my entire high school class
And I mean entire class. Those were the pictures that were supposed to be included in our high school yearbook (which never came out due to a lot of factors). I think that has got to be a record - almost every person looked like gay people with pasty complexions (no offense meant - but that was how terrible the pictures were. Blame it on the photography studio, or maybe the makeup artist).

5. My ex-girlfriend's picture and her first letter to me
These items were sent to me by my ex-girlfriend approximately 2 years ago. Seeing this got me thinking - I loved her, but at the time I found that our relationship was a bit impossible for me, since she lived in Mindoro, and I was based in Manila. The most we would have been able to meet would've been a few times in a month, and that was if I traveled to UPLB, or if she traveled to UST. Sigh.

6. My old prelim exam paper
College, first year, second semester. Mathematics 102C - Discrete Mathematics I. This was the only exam paper I kept in all these years. I was proud of that paper - still am, as a matter of fact. Not only did I get one of the highest grades during the exam, even with almost improbable odds I got a score of 113.5 over 108.5 total. Like my sister said when I showed her that paper last night, Weird.

Trips down memory lane can be soothing, or it can be disquieting. Good thing I found last night's trip to be soothing. Good for the heart, mind, and soul. Pax.

0 comments: